Graduate School records
The Graduate School was established in 1918 with the appointment of the first graduate dean. The records in this collection document the functions and responsibilities of the Graduate School and consist of minutes, correspondence, reports, newsletters, and news clippings.
Important Information for Users of the Collection
Yes, some files in this collection are restricted. Please contact the Archives and Manuscripts Department for more information.
Graduate School records, Special Collections, University of Maryland Libraries.
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
This collection is PROCESSED.
The history of the Graduate School at the University of Maryland at College Park (UMCP) has been one of rapid, at times explosive, growth. Established in 1919 with an enrollment of 12, the Graduate School has developed into one of the nation's largest. In the fall of 1990 approximately 9,000 students were en-rolled in graduate programs at UMCP, 60% at the masters level, 40% at the doctoral or non-degree levels.
The Graduate School's mission is to provide for the education of students in the scholarly methods of intellectual inquiry and critical analysis; to train them in the discipline and skills necessary for beneficial research; and to foster in them a dedication to creative thought and the search for knowledge.
In order to shape and participate in national policies and developments in graduate education, the Graduate School maintains close contact with other graduate schools and is a member of the Association of American Universities, the Association of Graduate Schools, and the Council of Graduate Schools in the United States.
The Graduate School was formed during academic year 1918-1919 and was administered by the Graduate Council, which consisted of the president of the university, director of the experiment station, the dean and secretary of the school, and six members experienced in graduate school administration. Twelve graduate students were enrolled at that time, with five departments offering graduate courses.
The Graduate School had general jurisdiction over graduate work offered by various departments of the university. Its policies for establishment of standards and requirements for degrees relied upon precedents set forth by the Association of American Universities, an association of United States' graduate institutions of which the UMCP graduate school became a member in 1970.
Departments offered standard graduate work and sought to place the quality of work on par with the best graduate schools in the nation. Work in accredited research labs such as the U.S. Department of Agriculture and other agencies was accepted as partial fulfillment of the resident requirement for future degrees. Fellowships and assistantships were made available. Theses and dissertations were required, with one year committed to the Master's Degree and three years to the Ph.D. Summer School courses and courses offered in Baltimore were also incorporated into the graduate program.
Advanced degrees conferred during the Graduate School's early years were the Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy for work in Agriculture and the natural sciences; Master of Arts for work in Liberal Arts, Education, and Home Economics; Doctor of Philosophy in Liberal Arts; and advanced professional degrees in Engineering. Agriculture, the Sciences and English were most widely represented during this period.
Charles O. Appleman was Dean of the Graduate School from its inception until 1949. By 1930, the Graduate School included all faculty members at the university who gave instruction in approved graduate courses. The general administrative functions of the Graduate Faculty were delegated to a Graduate Council of which the Dean of the Graduate School was Chairman.
By 1938, the Graduate School had grown to include the departments of Business Administration, Chemical Engineering, Poultry Husbandry, Political Science, Psychology and Sociology.
An excerpt from Dean Appleman's speech to the Board of Regents on June 21, 1940 states:
The graduate school has been called the invisible university. It permeates nearly all divisions and departments of the university, but there are very few signs of its existence. The graduate school has general jurisdiction over the graduate work offered by the various departments of the university; it also establishes and administers the general formal requirements for advanced degrees.
Following Dr. Appleman's tenure, the Graduate School was headed by Dr. Ronald Bamford, who served as Dean from 1949 until 1965. Under his guidance, the Graduate School expanded to meet the university's and the community's widening post-war needs.
To support the Graduate School during this expansion, the Graduate Faculty was formally organized in 1955-1956. Its constitution, amended in 1968 and again in 1974, provided "a means for the graduate faculty to discharge its functions with respect to educational policies and procedures of the Graduate School." The Graduate Faculty was comprised of the Graduate Faculty Assembly and the Graduate Council. The Graduate Faculty Assembly consisted of all full and associate members of the Graduate Faculty who, through their participation in research and graduate instruction, displayed a capacity for individual research or creative and scholarly work at the highest levels. The Graduate Council consisted of members of the Graduate Faculty elected by the Assembly as well as appointed and ex officio members. Working together, these bodies established policies governing admission to graduate study and minimum requirements to be met by all students seeking advanced degrees. Dr. William J. Svirbely served as Chairman of the Graduate Faculty during this period.
During the decade 1955-1965, Graduate School enrollment increased from 2200 to 6000, placing rigorous demands upon Graduate School administration. By the fall of 1965, enrollment exceeded 8000, only 1000 shy of its current level.
With the appointment of Dr. Michael J. Pelczar, Jr. in 1966, a new era began for the Graduate School when it was placed under the administration of the Office of Graduate Studies and Research. By 1970, this office had become part of the university's central administration.
Under this reorganization, Dr. David S. Sparks was appointed by Chancellor Charles E. Bishop to the position of Dean for Graduate Studies and Research at UMCP and Dr. John P. Lambooy was appointed to the same post for the Baltimore campuses. Dr. Pelczar served as Vice President for Graduate Studies and Research until 1977.
The following committees were appointed by Dr. Pelczar to oversee graduate studies and research: Committee on Academic Standards, Committee on Elections and Procedures, Committee on Fellowships, Committee on Graduate Faculty, Committee on Language Requirements, Committee on Programs and Courses, Committee on Publications, Committee on Research, and the Committee on Student Welfare.
Dr. Sparks became Vice President of Graduate Studies and Research in 1977 following Dr. Pelczar, a position he held until 1991. The current Dean of the Office of Graduate Studies and Research for the College Park campus is Dr. Jacob Goldhaber, who came to the post in 1987 following the terms of Dr. Rose-Marie G. Oster (1980-1984), Dr. Irwin L. Goldstein (1984-1985) and Dr. Arnold Thackray (1985-1986).
The Office of Graduate Studies and Research at UMCP continues its twofold mission of enlightening and preparing students for the future and coordinating administration of the various graduate programs. While a great deal of autonomy rests with individual academic departments, the Office of Graduate Studies and Research supervises the overall program and provides the administrative functions of admissions, record keeping, coordination of research proposals and grants and the management of the fellowship program.
The Associate Dean for Student Affairs, Associate Dean for Research, and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs complete the official body. Auxiliary offices of the Office of Graduate Studies and Research are the Graduate Minority Affairs Office, Research Administration and Advancement Office, the Laboratory Animal Care Office, and the Technical Liaison Office.
Scope and Contents of the Collection
The records of the Graduate School span the period 1926 to 1962; the bulk of material dates from 1940 to 1955. The collection consists of the administrative correspondence of Deans Appleman and Bamford and of the Chairman of the Graduate Faculty, Dr. William J. Svirbely. Reports, minutes and administrative materials of the Graduate Faculty figure prominently in the 1955 period and cover such areas as establishment and organization of the Graduate Faculty, functions of the Graduate Faculty Assembly, and criteria for elected membership. Enrollment statistics for 1953 and 1958; Graduate Council minutes; newspaper clippings; journal article reprints; and newsletters are also included.
Custodial History and Acquisition Information
The records of the Graduate School were originally transferred to the University of Maryland at College Park Libraries in 1973. Additional materials were transferred by Alice Piper of the Graduate School in 1977. Additional materials separated from various university archival record groups during processing were incorporated into the collection in January 2000.
Guide revised by: Mary Anne Greenwell-Plautz, August 1991; Jennifer Evans, January 2000.
One series has been created from the records of the school. Duplicate reports, agenda and minutes have been discarded. Paper clips and staples have been removed and replaced with plastic clips. All materials have been placed into acid-free folders and boxes. Records belonging to the General Administrative Board and the University Senate originally included with the collection has been separated from the collection for transfer to their respective record groups.
EAD markup created using EAD database in Microsoft Access. Markup completed by Dan Schwartz, May 2006.
Arrangement of Collection
This collection has been organized as one series:
Detailed Description of the Collection
Series 1: Administration, 1940-1962 (1 linear foot)
This series consists of the correspondence of Dr. Charles O. Appleman and Dr. Ronald Bamford, Deans of the Graduate School, and of Dr. William J. Svirbely, Chairman of the Graduate Faculty. Following this correspondence is material regarding Graduate Assistants and Fellows for the period 1926 to 1944; because these records disclose personal names and financial matters, they have been restricted for a period of 75 years. Following this are files of Graduate Council minutes; graduate enrollment statistics; and the administrative reports, agenda, and minutes of the Graduate Faculty. One file of miscellaneous clippings and newsletters is also included. All files have been arranged alphabetically by name or subject.
|Description||Series||Box / Reel||Folder / Frame|
|Correspondence -- Charles O. Appleman, March 1940-November 1948||series 1||box 1||folder 1|
|Correspondence -- Ronald Bamford, July 1949-December 1949||series 1||box 1||folder 2|
|Correspondence -- Ronald Bamford, July 1949-December 1949||series 1||box 1||folder 3|
|Correspondence -- Ronald Bamford, July 1949-December 1949||series 1||box 1||folder 4|
|Correspondence -- Ronald Bamford, July 1949-December 1949||series 1||box 1||folder 5|
|Correspondence -- Elliott McGinnies, 1962||series 1||box 1||folder 6|
|Correspondence -- William J. Svirbely, April 1955-January 1956||series 1||box 2||folder 1|
|Graduate Assistants and Fellows, 1926-1944 [Restricted]||series 1||box 2||folder 2|
|Graduate Council-Minutes, 1954-1955||series 1||box 2||folder 3|
|Graduate Enrollment-Statistics, 1953-1954, 1958-1958||series 1||box 2||folder 4|
|Graduate Faculty-Agenda, Minutes, reports, 1955-1956||series 1||box 2||folder 5|
|Miscellaneous Published Material, 1949-1959||series 1||box 2||folder 6|
Materials related to this collection may be found in the University Senate and General Administrative Board record groups, in the graduate school catalogs and newsletters available in the university publications collection, and in the book, A History of the University of Maryland by George M. Callcott.
For other related archival and manuscript collections, please see the following subject guides.
Selected Search Terms
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the University of Maryland Libraries' Catalog. Researchers desiring related materials about these topics, names, or places may search the Catalog using these headings.
- University of Maryland, College Park. -- Graduate School -- Archives
- University of Maryland, College Park -- Graduate work
Names (Added Entries)
- Appleman, Charles Orval, -- 1878-
- Bamford, Ronald, -- 1901
- Byrd, Harry Clifton, -- 1889-1970
- Elkins, Wilson H.
- Svirbely, William J.
- Symons, Thomas B. -- (Thomas Baddeley), -- b. 1880
- University of Maryland, College Park. -- Graduate Council
- University of Maryland, College Park. -- Graduate Faculty