ArchiveUM
University LibrariesDigital CollectionsHomeCatalogResearch PortAsk us!Archives UM HomeSpecial CollectionsSearchAbout Archives UMHelpHow Do I...?Site Index A-ZSearch

Records of University of Maryland University College

Abstract

Title:
Records of University of Maryland University College
Author/Creator:
University of Maryland University College
Collection number:
72-122
Size:
0.50 linear feet
Inclusive dates:
1945-1990
Collection Area:
University of Maryland
Repository:
Special Collections, University of Maryland Libraries, Hornbake Library, College Park, MD 20742. Tel: 301-405-9212, Fax: 301-314-2709, Email: askhornbake@umd.edu
Abstract:

University College was established in 1947 as the College of Special and Continuation Studies to administer the overseas and statewide off-campus evening courses of the University of Maryland system. Its name was changed in 1959 to University College and subsequently it became a separate campus of the university in 1970 under the name University of Maryland University College. The collection consists of correspondence, administrative files, accreditation commissions, conference records, tests, statistics and sundry materials relating to the establishment and maintenance of university courses overseas, primarily in Europe and the Far East; these records are open for research. Significant correspondents represented in the files include Harry Clifton Byrd, Adolph Zucker, Edgar Long, Joseph Ray, Stanley Drazek, and Jamie Taylor. Student and faculty files are also included in the record group but are open only on an individual basis to specified university staff.

Important Information for Users of the Collection

Restrictions:

Only the first series of this collection is open for research.

Preferred citation:

Records of University of Maryland University College, Special Collections, University of Maryland Libraries.

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1903.1/1648
Publication rights:

Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.

Status:

This collection is PROCESSED.

Historical Note

University College was established in 1947 as the College of Special and Continuation Studies to administer the overseas and statewide off-campus evening courses of the University of Maryland system. Its name was changed in 1959 to University College and subsequently it became a separate campus of the university in 1970 under the name University of Maryland University College

Scope and Contents of the Collection

The collection consists of correspondence, administrative files, accreditation commissions, conference records, tests, statistics and sundry materials relating to the establishment and maintenance of university courses overseas, primarily in Europe and the Far East; these records are open for research. Student and faculty files are also included in the record group but are open only on an individual basis to specified university staff.

Custodial History and Acquisition Information

Records are transferred periodically from the UMUC office overseeing admissions and registration.

Processing Information

Encoded by:

EAD markup created using EAD database in Microsoft Access. Markup completed by Jennie A. Levine. Edited by Malissa Ruffner, February 4, 2009.

Arrangement of Collection

The collection is arranged in 23 series. Only the first is open for research:

Detailed Description of the Collection

Series 1: College of Special and Continuation Studies, 1949-1959 (.50 linear feet)

This series consists of correspondence, administrative files, accreditation commissions, conference records, tests, statistics and sundry materials relating to the establishment and maintenance of university courses overseas, primarily in Europe and the Far East.

DescriptionSeriesBox / ReelFolder / Frame
Approved Schools, 1951-1952 series 1box 1folder 1
H. C. Byrd, 1946-1953 series 1box 1folder 2
H. C. Byrd, 1945-1953 series 1box 1folder 3
College of Special and Continuation Studies, 1949-1950 series 1box 1folder 4
College of Special and Continuation Studies, 1951 series 1box 1folder 5
College of Special and Continuation Studies, 1952-1953 series 1box 1folder 6
College of Special and Continuation Studies, 1950-1953 series 1box 1folder 7
College of Special and Continuation Studies, 1954-1959 series 1box 1folder 8
Commission on the Accreditation of Service Experience - Reports and Pamphlets, 1949-1952 series 1box 1folder 9
Dean of Students, 1952-1953 series 1box 1folder 10
Dean of Students, 1959-1960 series 1box 1folder 11
English - off campus, 1953 series 1box 1folder 12
High School Equivalency, 1951 series 1box 1folder 13
Music, undated series 1box 1folder 14
On Campus, 1950-1951 series 1box 1folder 15
Southern Regional Education Program, 1952-1953 series 1box 1folder 16
Special Committee on Adult Education, 1950-1953 series 1box 1folder 17
Statistics, 1947-1950 series 1box 1folder 18
Tests, 1952 series 1box 1folder 19

Related Material

There are numerous additional accessions of University College records that are unprocessed. Materials related to this collection may also be found under the heading "University College" in the University Publications collection of the Archives and Manuscripts Department (UPUB U7.)

For other related archival and manuscript collections, please see the following subject guides.

Selected Search Terms

This collection is indexed under the following headings in the University of Maryland Libraries' Catalog. Researchers desiring related materials about these topics, names, or places may search the Catalog using these headings.

Subjects

Names (Added Entries)