Student Union records
The University of Maryland's student union building was constructed in 1954 as a center for student activities and the focal point for social and cultural events. Named the Adele H. Stamp Union in 1983, the union was renamed Stamp Student Union in 1988. The records of the Student Union consist of administrative files and photographs documenting the facilities and operations of the union.
Important Information for Users of the Collection
This collection is open for research.
Student Union records, Special Collections, University of Maryland Libraries.Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1903.1/1666
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
This collection is PROCESSED.
The present Stamp Student Union is the center of student activities and the focal point for social and cultural events. The Union has rooms which are used by various campus and non-campus organizations for meetings, dances and conventions. In addition, the Union contains the University Book Center, the Record Coop, a Recreation Center with 16 bowling lanes, a Craft Center, the Hoff Theater and the Parents Association Gallery. There are also a number of eating establishments in the Union: the Eateries, run by Dining Services; Roy Rogers; the Food Coop; and vending machines. The following University of Maryland offices are also located in the Union: the Adele Stamp Union Advisory Board, the Legal Aid Office, the Office of Campus Activies, the Office of Commuter Affairs, the STAR Center, the Student Government Association offices and the offices of various student groups on campus.
Prior to the opening of the Student Union, there was no central location for student activities. Instead recreation rooms and basements of various buildings throughout campus were used for student functions; however, the Agricultural Publications Annex was referred to as the Student Center around 1920. The current Student Union building was completed in 1954. The first addition was opened in 1963 and the second addition was completed ten years later. On September 24, 1983, the name of the Student Union was officially changed to the Adele H. Stamp Union in honor of Adele H. Stamp, the Dean of Women from 1922 to 1960. In 1988, the Union was renamed the Stamp Student Union, in order to make the name more representative of the building's function.
The director of the Union until he retired in 1974 was William L. Hoff. Mr. Hoff was replaced by David R. Hubler. The present director, Dr. James M. Osteen, became first acting and then permanent director in 1985.
Scope and Contents of the Collection
The records of the Student Union cover the years 1958 to 1959 and 1972. The collection includes a annual report with a listing of organizations using the union, a budget, and a beverage license.
Custodial History and Acquisition Information
The records of the Student Union were transferred to the University of Maryland at College Park Libraries in 1972 by Fred DeMarr. Mr. DeMarr also donated photographs of the Union in 1985.
Guide revised by: Sonja Nowack, October 1989.
The collection has been placed into acid-free folders in an acid-free box. The photographs have been transferred to the Photographic Collection.
EAD markup created using EAD database in Microsoft Access. Markup completed by Dan Schwartz, May 2006. Edited by Malissa Ruffner, December 2008.
Arrangement of Collection
This collection is organized as two series:
Detailed Description of the Collection
Series 1: Administrative Files, 1958-1959, 1972 (0.25 linear feet)
This series consists of a budget and an annual report for fiscal year 1958-1959 which includes lists of organizations that used the Union and movies that were shown. The records of the Student Union also contain a one-day beverage license for a special event in 1972.
These materials have been arranged alphabetically by document type.
|Description||Series||Box / Reel||Folder / Frame|
|Annual Report, 1958-1959||series 1||box 1||folder 1|
|Beverage License, 1972||series 1||box 1||folder 2|
|Budget, 1958-1959||series 1||box 1||folder 3|
Series 2: Photographs, 1954-1982 (0.25 linear feet)
Images of the Union date primarily from the 1950s and depict various facilities including the Tobacco Shop, the Snack Bar, the Music Lounge and meeting rooms. Later photographs include the building of the first addition (1962-1963) and the fire in 1982. There are also several photographs of William L. Hoff, director of the Student Union from 1954 to 1974.
The box inventory for this series is not currently available online. Please refer to the series description above for a broad description of the materials or contact the department for more information.
There are several unprocessed accessions from the Student Union record group, as well as an accession from the Student Union - Director's Office. Preliminary inventories are available for some of the accessions.
The University Publications Collection includes publications of the Student Union, which may be found under the headings "Student Union" and "Stamp Student Union." Materials documenting the current building may also be found in University Publications under the heading "Buildings and Grounds-Student Union."
For other related archival and manuscript collections, please see the following subject guides.
Selected Search Terms
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the University of Maryland Libraries' Catalog. Researchers desiring related materials about these topics, names, or places may search the Catalog using these headings.
- College students -- Maryland -- Social conditions
- Student activities -- Maryland -- History -- Sources
- Students unions -- History -- Sources
- University of Maryland, College Park -- Buildings -- History -- Sources
- University of Maryland, College Park -- Maryland Student Union -- Archives
- University of Maryland, College Park -- Students -- History -- Sources