This collection consists of eleven scrapbooks maintained by university students, administrators, or alumni. The books of Milton Pyle, William Jester, and Minnie Hill depict campus life during and immediately after World War I and include photographs, newspaper clippings, programs, and class schedules. Another of the scrapbooks was presented to the Alumni Association by W. W. Cobey of the Class of 1931 in the wake of World War II; this scrapbook consists of clippings, obituaries and articles, about university alumni who served in the war. Other volumes record the activities of women students and graduating classes in the late 1950s.
Important Information for Users of the Collection
This collection is open for research.
Scrapbooks, Special Collections, University of Maryland Libraries.Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1903.1/1640
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
This collection is PROCESSED.
This record group consists of eleven scrapbooks documenting the history of the University of Maryland.
Scope and Contents of the Collection
The earliest scrapbook in this collection is dated 1913, while the most recent is from 1970. Six of the scrapbooks consist of materials collected by individual students, classes, or organizations and contain such materials as photographs, newspaper clippings, letters, and artifacts. The other five scrapbooks consist entirely of newspaper clippings about various aspects of the University of Maryland.
Custodial History and Acquisition Information
The scrapbooks were acquired by the University of Maryland at College Park Libraries from various sources. Six of the scrapbooks--Publicity, Personal-Dean Stamp, University of Maryland Clippings, Senior History of the Class of 1956, Senior History of the Class of 1957, and Gamma Sigma Sigma--were donated by Dr. George Calcott. Milton Pyle's scrapbook was donated to the Alumni Association for deposit in the Libraries on April 26, 1974, by Anna Hunter Pyle and Shirley Pyle Lanham. The source for the remaining scrapbooks is unknown.
Guide revised by: Jordan E. Landes, August 1995.
The scrapbooks were placed in acid-free boxes.
EAD markup created using EAD database in Microsoft Access. Markup completed by Dan Schwartz, May 2006. Edited by Malissa Ruffner, December 2008.
Arrangement of Collection
This collection is organized as one series:
Detailed Description of the Collection
Series 1: Scrapbooks, 1913-1970 (7.5 linear feet)
This series is composed of eleven scrapbooks about events and student life at the University of Maryland. These materials are arranged alphabetically by created or given title.
[Gamma Sigma Sigma Scrapbook], Spring 1970
- Gamma Sigma Sigma, a service sorority at the University of Maryland, compiled this scrapbook of its activities, from rush through initiation and various projects, documented by photographs, collages, a script of a skit performed by the sorority, and clippings and tickets from a Jose Feliciano concert at Ritchie Coliseum. Also included is a program from the Bob Hope Show, which was autographed by Marilyn May and the Vogues. A large part of the scrapbook is devoted to a variety show, from which there are photographs, clippings, and correspondence. There are also programs from the sorority's Dinner Dance, as well as pictures and collages of Lefty Driesell, whom the sorority named Ugliest Man of 1970.
[Minnie Hill Scrapbook], 1922-1925
- Minnie Hill kept a scrapbook documenting her experience at the University of Maryland, which paints a clear picture of the life of a typical co-ed at the university during the early 1920s. The scrapbook includes eight pages of student autographs; football tickets, line-ups and schedules; photographs of Hill and other students and of the campus; newspaper clippings on college women; and theater tickets, programs, and announcements. Copies of dormitory rules, one of Hill's report cards, greeting cards, and a beanie also document life on campus. Invitations and dance cards, some with attached pencils, from the University of Maryland, the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, and George Washington University record part of Hill's social life.
[William Clayton Jester Scrapbook], 1918-1921
- William Jesters scrapbook contains a wide variety of materials from all aspects of student life at the University of Maryland, focusing particularly on social activities and ROTC. Jester, an agriculture major, began keeping his scrapbook in 1918 and completed it when he graduated in 1921. The first portion of the scrapbook contains student autographs and a record of Jester's activities. Jester included materials on ROTC activities on campus during World War I, as well as his ROTC patch. In addition there are photographs of students, student activities, ROTC officers, and views of the campus. Printed materials include a Maryland State College Bulletin, a Maryland State College catalog, commencement and Farmers Day programs, a printed list of dormitory rules, a university bill, several laundry lists, and schedules for sporting events. Among the newspaper clippings is a series about Jester's fall from a fourth-floor dormitory window in October 1981. Materials from Jester's social activities include personal letters, invitations, and tickets. Correspondence includes a letter from University president A. F. Woods to Jester, dated May 7, 1920, and a response to a request fro tickets to the inauguration from United States Senator L. Heisler Ball of Delaware.
Personal Scrapbook-Dean Stamp, [1920-1940]
- Adele Stamp, Dean of Women, kept this scrapbook in 1920. Newspaper clippings on the first seven pages, labeled personal acquaintances and editorials, cover activities of Stamp's acquaintances and education in the state of Maryland. The remainder of the scrapbook pages are empty; however, there are loose clippings inserted at the front of the scrapbook that concern Stamp and her opinions on college women.
Publicity Scrapbook, 1938-1939
- This scrapbook is composed entirely of newspaper clippings about women at the University of Maryland. Among the clippings are pieces about the university's first co-ed chemical engineer, a Maryland beauty contest, women on the honor roll, marriage announcements, sororities, the faculty ban on women wearing shorts, and graduation. There are several articles on the 1939 visit of Eleanor Roosevelt to the university.
[Milton A. Pyle Scrapbook], 1917-44
- Milton Pyle's scrapbook is composed mainly of photographs of military and academic life at Maryland State College of Agriculture, the official name for the University of Maryland at College Park from 1916 to 1920. Milton Shorty Ducky Pyle graduated from the Maryland State College with a bachelor of science in civil engineering in 1918; after graduation he served as an instructor, eventually becoming an associate professor. The bulk of the materials in Pyles scrapbook are from 1917 and 1918, when he was an undergraduate. They include photographs of the Maryland State College campus, Washington, D.C., students, student activities, athletics, and local towns, as well as photographs from a military camp Pyle attended in Plattsburgh, New York. Pyle also saved ribbons from the Maryland State College of Agricultures fair, items he collected from the Delta chapter of Sigma Phi Sigma, dining room tickets, cigar labels, and calling cards. IN addition the scrapbook contains clippings on the 1934 Alumni Day, the 1938 engineering faculty, and Pyles obituary from the May 1944 issue of Alumni News.
Senior History of the Class of 1956, 1956
- The Class of 1956 assembled this scrapbook to document the events of its senior year at the University of Maryland. The scrapbook includes copies of the senior class budget, entire issues of the Diamondback, clippings about the new McKeldin Library, and a letter to the class president from university President Wilson Elkins. The class of '56 took part in the centennial celebration of the University of Maryland at College Park and the sesquicentennial of the University of Maryland School of Medicine; these activities are represented by correspondence, photographs, plans for the senior booth and exhibits, and a pamphlet entitled The Story of the University of Maryland. Completing the scrapbook are plans for senior week, materials from the senior prom, and a commencement program.
Senior History of the Class of 1957, 1957
- The Class of 1957 also documented its senior year in a scrapbook. Included in this volume are newspaper clippings and a calendar of the school year, as well as a series of materials about Senior Class Presents, a jazz concert sponsored by the class. Other items in the scrapbook include a letter about the Baccalaureate service, clippings on the May Day festival, a map detailing the location of commencement services, and a program from the senior prom; the prom program is autographed by Mel Torme, who performed at the event.
[SGA Cultural Committee Activities, 1962]
- This scrapbook is composed of newspaper articles and announcements, photographs, and programs of events sponsored by the SGA Cultural Committee. The events included performances of the National Symphony, Ravi Shankar, Peter Nero, the musical Guys and Dolls, Ferrante and Teicher, and Ruggiero Ricci. There are also photographs, plans, and clippings about the proposed National Cultural Center, now the Kennedy Center, and the SGA Cultural Committees support for it. Finally, there is a letter from Sally Montoya, the wife of guitarist Carlo Montoya, concerning his performance at the University of Maryland.
[University of Maryland Clippings], 1913-1915
- This scrapbook contains articles about the University of Maryland, the law and medical schools, Maryland public schools, and St. Johns College. There are many articles about Maryland State Senator William Milnes Maloy's plan for new state school sand about his appointment to the position of Provost of the University of Maryland. Other articles of interest document the honorary degree from the University of Maryland at College Park conferred upon U. S. Secretary of State William J. Bryan and the address Maryland Attorney General Albert Ritchie delivered to students at the University of Maryland.
[World War II Scrapbook], 1941-1945
- Presented to the Alumni Association following World War II, this scrapbook is a collection of newspaper clippings about University of Maryland alumni who fought in the war. Colonel John O'Neill, University of Maryland class of 1930, is the subject of several pages, with articles detailing his recommendation for a Distinguished Service Cross. In addition to the large collection of clippings about Maryland alumni in the armed services, there are numerous obituaries and notices of those missing-in-action.
|Description||Series||Box / Reel||Folder / Frame|
|[Gamma Sigma Sigma Scrapbook], Spring 1970||series 1||box 1||folder 1|
|Minnie Hill Scrapbook], 1922-1925||series 1||box 1||folder 2|
|[William Clayton Jester Scrapbook], 1918-1921||series 1||box 2||folder 1|
|Personal Scrapbook-Dean Stamp, [1920-1940]||series 1||box 2||folder 2|
|Publicity Scrapbook, 1938-1939||series 1||box 2||folder 3|
|[Milton A. Pyle Scrapbook], 1917-1944||series 1||box 3||folder 1|
|Senior History of the Class of 1956, 1956||series 1||box 3||folder 2|
|Senior History of the Class of 1957, 1957||series 1||box 4||folder 1|
|[SGA Cultural Committee Activities], 1962||series 1||box 4||folder 2|
|[University of Maryland Clippings], 1913-1915||series 1||box 5||folder 1|
|[World War II Scrapbook], 1941-1945||series 1||box 5||folder 2|
There are additional unprocessed scrapbooks in the collection.
For other related archival and manuscript collections, please see the following subject guides.
Selected Search Terms
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the University of Maryland Libraries' Catalog. Researchers desiring related materials about these topics, names, or places may search the Catalog using these headings.
- Scrapbooks -- Maryland -- College Park
- University of Maryland, College Park -- Buildings -- History -- Sources
- University of Maryland, College Park -- History -- Sources
- University of Maryland, College Park -- Students -- History -- Sources
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Maryland -- Sources
Names (Added Entries)
- Hill, Minnie
- Jester, William C.
- Pyle, Milton Allender