University of Maryland Libraries Digital Collections

Souvenir of Baltimore, Maryland, circa 1932-1944

1932-1944PrintcolorJump to full detailsRequest from Special Collections

Adobe Flash is required to view this image

umd:196434
umd:196435
umd:196436
umd:196437
umd:196439
umd:196440
umd:196446
umd:196441
umd:196442
umd:196443
umd:196444
umd:196445
umd:196447
umd:196448
umd:196449
umd:196450
umd:196438
umd:196451
umd:196452
umd:196453
umd:196454

Summary:Souvenir of Baltimore, Maryland, circa 1932-1944. Caption inside enclosure reads: “Baltimore, Maryland. The following views are among those pictured in this illustrated folder: • Druid Hill Park is a wooded hilly tract of 675 acres extending west from the deep Rocky valley of Jones Falls. Land was once owned by Nicholas Roges --- aide de camp to Baron de Kalb --- and was purchased by the city in 1860. • Bonnie Blink Masonic Home for the aged was established in 1932. The gray stone buildings, designed in Tudor Gothic Style, overlook a farm of more than 300 acres used chiefly for farming. • The World War Memorial on the Plaza covers two city blocks at the East End of the Civic Center. Marshal Foch broke ground in 1921 for this building, designed by Lawrence Hall Fowler in neoclassic style. It is a visitor’s must. • John Hopkins Hospital, Broadway and Monument Street, occupies north four city blocks. Together with the University it shares a worldwide reputation for work in the Medical Sciences. • Pimlico Race Track, Belvedere and Park Height Avenues, is an 80-acre racing plant with a grandstand seating capacity of 20,000 and stables for 1200 horses. Pimlico (original) land grant is named for a district in London. Important races are Preakness, Dixie, Pimlico Cap and many others. • The 5th Regiment Armory occupies a city block in Northwest Baltimore. It is the headquarters for the 5th Maryland Regiment organized in 1775 and nicknamed the 'Dandy Fifth,' which fought in the Revolutionary War. • The first Y.M.C.A. Buildings, Pierce and Schroeck streets was erected in 1859 with funds raised by John Hopkins. It is now occupied by Christ Methodist Church for the Deaf. • The monument, unveiled in 1911, is the work of Jean Marius Antonin, French sculptor, and shows Francis Scott Key offering the Star-Spangled Banner manuscript to Columbia. • The first Washington Monument to be begun and first of importance to be completed. State Property --- funds were raised partly by lottery and also by the state. Base is 50 feet square and 28 feet high. The 16 ft. Washington Statue is the work of Henrico Caricici, Italian sculptor. • Shot Tower --- Fayette and Front streets, is a tapering cylindrical brick structure 234 feet high and was used in the manufacturing of shot. Molten lead poured through a sieve at top and hardened into round pellets as it fell. • University of Maryland School of Medicine is located at Lombard and Greene Streets and was established in 1813. The five-story red brick and limestone structure in the northwest corner was erected in 1928; houses the School of Pharmacy and Dentistry. • Fort McHenry --- a National Park --- is on Whetstone Point overlooking the North West and Middle Branches of Patapsco River. Star shaped with 20 foot brick walls, moats, drawbridges and dungeons, it was during the bombardment of this fort, as he saw it while a prisoner on a British ship, that Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner. Guns shown were borrowed from an abandoned French frigate for the War of 1812. • At Art Museum Drive and 31st Street, the Museum, municipally owned, holds current loan exhibitions and has a permanent collection of great interest. The Epstein collection is most notable. • Scottish Rite Temple of Free Masonry. Designed by Clyde and Nelson Freiz and won the Baltimore Evening Sun prize for most beautiful building erected in 1932. Banquet hall seats 1500. Located at Charles and 39th Streets.” Collection also includes an image of the Maryland Yacht Club and 3 different images of Baltimore city skylines. Postcards numbered 1-15.
Contributor:Colourpicture Publishers (Firm)
Provider:Harry P. Cann & Bro.
Century:1901-2000
Printing place:North America
United States of America
Massachusetts
Boston
Place of origin – Continent:North America
Place of origin – Country:United States of America
Place of origin – Region:Maryland
Place of origin – Settlement:Baltimore
Temporal subject: 1931-1940
1941-1950
Geographical subject – Continent:North America
Geographical subject – Country:United States of America
Geographical subject – Region:Maryland
Geographical subject – Settlement:Baltimore
Topical subjects:Druid Hill Park (Baltimore, Md.)
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Pimlico Race Course (Baltimore, Md.)
Washington Monument (Baltimore, Md.)
University of Maryland at Baltimore. School of Dentistry
Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine (Baltimore, Md.)
Baltimore Museum of Art
City Hall (Baltimore, Md.)
Cityscapes
Masonic buildings
Genre:Postcards
ArchivesUM location:National Trust Library Postcard Collection
Repository:National Trust for Historic Preservation Library Collection
Browse terms:Architecture, Landscape, Historic Places
Collection:National Trust Library Historic Postcard Collection
Collection may be protected under Title 17 of the U.S. Copyright Law. To obtain permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the University of Maryland Libraries at http://www.lib.umd.edu/NTL/queries.html.