University of Maryland Libraries Digital Collections

Gamble's Hill Park, Richmond, Virginia, circa 1907-1914

1907-1914PrintcolorJump to full detailsRequest from Special Collections

Adobe Flash is required to view this image

umd:91571
umd:91572

Alternate title:Gamble's Hill Park, South Third Street, Richmond, Va.
Summary:Gamble's Hill Park, Richmond, Virginia, circa 1907-1914. Caption reads: "Situated at the Southern extremity of 3rd and 4th Streets, Gamble's Hill Park, tho' limited in area commands a magnificent panoramic view of the falls of the James River and the surrounding country-side. Winding about the foot of the hill is the old James Rive and Kanawha Canal, the tow path of which being now occupied by a division of the C. & O. Ry. The stone cross appearing in this view was erected to commemorate the first visit of white men to the present site of Richmond in 1607, when Capt. John Smith and party ascended the river as far as the falls." Postcard number: 27, 50215.
Provider:Southern Bargain House
Century:1901-2000
Place of origin – Continent:North America
Place of origin – Country:United States of America
Place of origin – Region:Virginia
Place of origin – Settlement:Richmond
Temporal subject: 1901-1910
1911-1920
Geographical subject – Continent:North America
Geographical subject – Country:United States of America
Geographical subject – Region:Virginia
Geographical subject – Settlement:Richmond
Topical subjects:Parks
Crosses
Monuments & memorials
Smith, John, 1580-1631
Genre:Postcards
ArchivesUM location:Institute of American Deltiology postcard collection
Repository:National Trust for Historic Preservation Library Collection
Browse terms:Architecture, Landscape, Historic Places
Copyright holder:Public Domain
Collection:National Trust Library Historic Postcard Collection
Collection may be protected under Title 17 of the U.S. Copyright Law. To obtain permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the University of Maryland Libraries at http://www.lib.umd.edu/NTL/queries.html