University of Maryland Libraries Digital Collections

Old Chapel, between Berryville and Front Royal, Virginia, circa 1931-1944

1931-1944PrintcolorJump to full detailsRequest from Special Collections

Adobe Flash is required to view this image

umd:94197
umd:94198

Summary:Old Chapel, between Berryville and Front Royal, Virginia, circa 1931-1944. Caption reads: "The Old Chapel, between Berryville and Front Royal, Virginia. This old chapel, a Clarke County Landmark, was built in 1789. The cemetery adjoining contains the remain of many famous Virginians, including Bishop Meade, the first bishop of the parish, John Esten Cook, the author and many others. The gallery of the chapel was used by the slaves who also worshiped here with their masters' families." Postcard number: 158, 5B-H310.
Provider:Marken & Bielfeld, Inc.
Century:1901-2000
Place of origin – Continent:North America
Place of origin – Country:United States of America
Place of origin – Region:Maryland
Place of origin – Settlement:Frederick
Temporal subject: 1931-1940
1941-1950
Geographical subject – Continent:North America
Geographical subject – Country:United States of America
Geographical subject – Region:Virginia
Geographical subject – Settlement:Berryville
Front Royal
Topical subjects:Chapels
Genre:Postcards
ArchivesUM location:Institute of American Deltiology Postcard Collection
  • series Virginia
  • box 14
Repository:National Trust for Historic Preservation Library Collection
Browse terms:Architecture, Landscape, Historic Places
Copyright holder:Unknown
Collection:National Trust Library Historic Postcard Collection
Collection may be protected under Title 17 of the U.S. Copyright Law. To obtain permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the University of Maryland Libraries at http://www.lib.umd.edu/NTL/queries.html.