University of Maryland Libraries Digital Collections

Luray Museum, Luray, Virginia, circa 1930-1944

1930-1944PrintcolorJump to full detailsRequest from Special Collections


Summary:The Luray Museum in Luray, Virginia, circa 1930-1944. Caption reads: "The large rustic twelve-room house, wherein is displayed the Luray Museum, harmonizes as an antique with its unusual contents. The land on which it stands was conveyed by Isaac Ruffner to Henry Rose in 1812, the year the Town of Luray was chartered, and then to Joseph Evans, He, in 1818, build the log house. In 1842, the additions to the rear and west side were erected. On the very day in 183 when Page County was cut off from the Shenandoah County the first baby in the newly formed County was born in this building. The first court in Page County was held in this building on March 30, 1831; and, from 1842 to 1850, it was known as the Eagle Tavern, being the terminus of the Winchester-Luray Stage Line. From 1861-1865, the women of the community gathered in this building to cut uniforms for the Confederate Soldiers. Two of its rooms were used for surgical supplies and medicines for Company K., 10th Virginia Infantry, C.S.A., recruited in the area." Postcard number: 79318.
Provider:Tichnor Brothers, Inc.
Shenandoah News Agency
Printing place:North America
United States of America
Place of origin – Continent:North America
Place of origin – Country:United States of America
Place of origin – Region:Virginia
Place of origin – Settlement:Winchester
Temporal subject: 1931-1940
Geographical subject – Continent:North America
Geographical subject – Country:United States
Geographical subject – Region:Virginia
Geographical subject – Settlement:Luray
Topical subjects:Galleries & museums
Luray Museum (Va.)
ArchivesUM location:National Trust Library Postcard Collection
Repository:National Trust for Historic Preservation Library Collection
Browse terms:Architecture, Landscape, Historic Places
Collection:National Trust Library Historic Postcard Collection
Collection may be protected under Title 17 of the U.S. Copyright Law. To obtain permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the University of Maryland Libraries at